Car accidents are common around the world. Often victims of the car accident suffer more even though it was not their fault. Car accident victims must ensure that the accident settlements work out in their favor and they get duly compensated for their sufferings. They must seek help of the efficient and expert lawyer or law firm to help develop a strategy to win their case.
The car accident victims must have what to do after a car accident checklist to help themselves and their lawyers. From the legal perspective they must ensure that they could get the following:
- Police report
- Insurance report on both vehicles damage
- Intersection traffic signals or signage photos/videos
- Witness statements
- Traffic camera footage
- Optional: any nearby business camera footage
- Optional: expert witness testimony
Apart from these, they must also keep a journal of their day to day important activities regarding car accident injury. The information contained in the journal will help the lawyer build the case. The journal will serve as a record of evidence for the case. The journal should contain the following information:
- Rate your symptoms on a scale from 1 to 10 and talk about all of your symptoms in your journal.
- Record information of all the healthcare providers that you see
- Attach in the journal the medical records and bills from all the providers that you see during your treatment
- Record specific ways that the injuries have affected your life
- Record and cite examples of your pain, suffering, and inconvenience, and the general loss of enjoyment of life
- Record all information about medications that you take to facilitate damage claims
- Record track of self-treatment
- Record track of lost earnings
- Record track of all out-of-pocket expenses that you incurred, as they may be part of your damage claim
Such a what to do after a car accident checklist will help your lawyer immensely in building a case in your favor. The lawyer should be informed immediately of any additional information that can be of importance. If you do such a preparation for your case, you are likely to get compensated handsomely for the injuries that you incur in a car accident.